Working in the UK

Information for International Students

It is very important to remember that, although international students are permitted to work part time during their course, you should be in a position to support yourself without needing to find a job.
If you are issued a Tier 4 visa, this is granted on the basis that you can prove both fees and living costs are available to you without you having to work. Possible future earnings are not admissible evidence for a Tier 4 visa application.

If you are in the UK on a Tier 4 visa, you will be allowed to work during your studies and this will be stated on your visa. However, if you are in the UK as a Student Visitor, you are not permitted to work. You can do most kinds of work on a Tier 4 visa, but you must not:

  • be self-employed
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach
  • be employed as an entertainer
  • take a permanent full-time job
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training, unless you are on the foundation programme.

The University has a Careers Service that can help you with your job hunting and application techniques. The Careers Service will also be able to advise you on finding a job in the UK once you have completed your studies.

UKCISA (the UK Council for International Student Affairs) have produced a very useful information page called Can You Work?

Information for EEA and Swiss Students

If you are from the EEA or Switzerland please see the specific information available on the Immigration and International Student Advice Team channel.

UKCISA have also produced an information page for EEA and Swiss students .