On Arrival In The UK

Immigration Control – EEA nationals

You will be admitted freely if you produce your national identity card or passport on arrival. However, if you have dependants who want to live with you in the UK and who are not EEA nationals, remember they will need to show that they have entry clearance, and should obtain this at a British Embassy before travelling.

Immigration Control – Nationals of countries outside the EEA

When you arrive in the UK, you will have to pass through immigration control. You should make sure you carry all the following documents with you in your hand luggage:

  • Passport and your UK visa
  • Your CAS statementfrom the University
  • Documentary evidence that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees and living costs (more information about the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) maintenance requirements can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
  • Medical certificates/ chest X-rays, especially if you are coming from a high-risk TB area. Failure to provide a chest X-ray could lead to a delay of up to three hours at immigration control (more information about TB screening can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page.

From 30 November 2009, the UKVI is introducing fingerprint checks at the border for passengers who have provided their biometrics during the visa application process. The purpose of this check is to verify that the individual entering the UK is the same person who applied for their visa and using fingerprints enables the UKVI to do this with greater certainty. More information about this can be found on the UK Visas website.

If you experience any problems when passing through immigration control, you should provide the Immigration Officer with the following telephone number(s) to speak to a member of the University staff who may be able to provide relevant information: +44 (0)1443 48 3413, +44 (0)1443 48 2885

Passing through Customs Control

When you have passed through immigration control you will collect your luggage from the Baggage Reclaim area and then pass through Customs. You will see three channels:

  • RED Items to declare
  • GREEN Nothing to declare
  • BLUE Arrivals from a European country

If you are asked to open your luggage for inspection by a Customs Officer then you must do so. Details of what you may bring into the UK are available from British Embassies, High Commissions or Consulates, and you are advised to check before travelling. Please note there are certain items you are not allowed to bring into the UK to protect citizens’ health, safety and environment. For example, it is illegal to bring meat, fish, cheese, honey and other animal products into the UK from many countries outside the EU. Please visit the HM Revenue and Customs website for more information.